Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

No matter who you voted for, today we will witness history. Tony and I are both history buffs and try to take the opportunity of watching it if possible. You don't always have the advantage of knowing you are watching it as it happens. I write this as the History Channel is on in the background giving an over view of JFK's presidency.
We watched the Inauguration Celebration on HBO. It was fun to watch with a variety of musicians, speakers and actors. The energy was incredible and I imagine today will be no different. Obama is an eloquent speaker and I'm excited to hear what he has to say and watch him speak.
Washington DC is an amazing place. My parents took us there several times while I was a child and the last time I went was in high school with my honors history class. There are so many interesting places to visit rich in history and information. The museums, monuments, the White House, the Mint, the Mall, the train station, the Capitol Building, the Smithsonian's, the zoo, Mt. Vernon and the FBI tour were eye opening. I could go on and on. It left quite an impression on me as a child and again as a teenager. There's a line in the movie of Good Will Hunting. Robin Williams is speaking with Matt Damon who has a gift for math. He said something like, I bet you can give me every detail of the Sistine Chapel, and Michelangelo's life, but you can't describe the smell as you walk in or the feeling as you're looking up at the beautiful ceiling. That's how I've always felt about Washington DC and I've always wanted to go back. It will be a great place to plan a family vacation for us in the next few years. Tony has never been there and he would truly enjoy it. If you ever have to opportunity, take it! Plan ahead because there are so many things to see. Even if you have some sort of itinerary, it would be difficult to see everything you would like to.
Enjoy your day enriched with history. Plan a trip to a local museum with your children. They will really love and remember it for a long time to come.
Jamie

No comments: